Snow FINALLY came! Break out the boots, collect the gloves, get out the goretex, fetch the sled: SNOW IS HERE!!!
|At our "break point" - Max doing his patented "snow angel" to cool off; Zorro doing|
his patented "snow chug" to cool off. "Winter is here: Wheeeeee!" say Max & Zorro!
We headed up to Vail Pass this morning as the forecast called for snow in that direction. Here is what we found:
- 2-5 inches of "first snow of the season" over a rocky and/or muddy terrain.
- Not enough snow (given the rocks or mud just under the surface) to skijor - but plenty of snow to dog sled. So, we hooked Max & Zorro to the sled and hit the trails.
Highlight of the season... I won a GoPro in their "daily giveaway", so we have HD-quality video queued up for the upcoming skijoring season. This ought to be fun to watch...
Here is a great clip from today's video of Max & Zorro trotting at a cool 10-12 MPH pace through the fresh snow:
Now, people have often asked me "what" Max & Zorro do if we stop. Well, "stop" does NOT happen very often. But, we do stop at either the "high point" or "midway point" of all of our outings. It is usually a short 4-6 minute break (mostly to rest the human). The following video shows our typical stop point...
A few things to note:
- The Siberians look like they haven't even started yet!
- Max & Zorro get hot dogs at our stop points. Cute Max climbing all over the musher for his treat; polite Zorro sitting right in front of me before each of his treats.
- Once the hot dogs are passed out: (a) Max doing his typical "snow angel" roll in the snow to cool off; (b) Zorro doing his typical "snow gulp" to ingest snow to cool his jets.
|Encountering a Forest Ranger far back on the trails. "Quit crushing our trail!"|
|The final approach to the trailhead. YUCK - what happened to our snow!!!|