Saturday, April 18, 2020

Polite Rudy

Can you identify all the things "wrong" with the following photo?
"Um, we are stopped! That is wrong!" suggests Zorro :)
No, Zorro, being stopped may seem wrong but that is not what I mean. A couple of times a season we end up on the wrong trail for the current conditions and this morning was one such day. Our intent was to skijor "out & back" on Boreas Pass Trail. I fully expected a somewhat narrow set track as only skiers and snowshoers can use Boreas Pass. But, I also expected some nice soft powder next to the set track. Well, I was wrong...

Here's what is wrong with the prior photo. First, the "set trail" is only 2 Siberians wide. Second, the snow out of the track was hard and punchy (as you can see from Zorro's feet). So, here's the problem: only 2 of the 3 can fit in the set track while the snow "out of track" is so punchy that it is not possible to use.

The solution to today's "wrong conditions for 3 sled dogs"? Well, the solution was Polite Rudy. Ok, now that you read that and fell out of your chair in astonishment or laughter, I am SERIOUS. Polite Rudy saved the day. He willingly took the backseat to Zorro & Jack (and then to Jack) all day to allow us to fit in the conditions that were available. Yay Rudy!!!!

We did an initial out & back with Zorro. Here we are coming back to the trailhead to hand Zorro off to Nancy. Can you find Polite Rudy?
"We can fit - wheeee!' says happy Zorro & Jack in front.
"I'm back here - having fun too!" declares polite Rudy taking the backseat.
A little closer to Nancy and you can make out more of polite & happy Rudy in the back. I know, I know - Polite Rudy!!!!! If you told me I'd have a blog titled "Polite Rudy" before he was 5 years old, I would have fallen out my own chair laughing. But, here we are with maturing Rudy approaching 2.5 years old and he gets the "polite" accolades of the day!
Happy blacks in front.
Polite Rudy in back!
After dropping Zorro, the kids and I went back up Boreas for another "out & back". I was really hoping the conditions would get nicer as we went higher. I expected the shoulder snow to transform from punchy to soft - but that never happened. All that happened was the set trail kept getting narrower and narrower and Polite Rudy continued to save the day!
Only "1 wide" higher up with very punchy snow out of track.
Polite Rudy saves the day again and lets Jack lead so we can keep going.
Despite choosing the wrong trail for today's conditions, we all still had fun and we all still earned our 'end of run' treats for hauling the human around. So, we conclude today's entry with yet another shot of that young & mature Polite Rudy!!!
"Ready for treats!" declares focused Zorro & Jack.
"Chilling in the back - I'm POLITE RUDY!!!!" says the patient young red boy!
A wrong choice of trail, but all snow is fun snow: 5.2 miles traveled with 400 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of16 MPH.

2019/2020 Season to Date: 151 days on the trails covering 1031.9 miles with 93,900 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment