Saturday, January 20, 2024

Special Ride

This morning's skijor started before sunrise by the dim light of dawn.

Barely enough dawn light to get out on the trails; but we did it!

Why such an early start? I had an all day seminar to attend in Frisco (the town just north of Breckenridge). Originally I thought we would not skijor this morning due to my early commitment. But, I was out running the snowblower 2 days ago just before 7am and I noticed, "Hey, sunrise is 7:20ish but there is enough light just before 7:00 to skijor by the light of dawn." Well, it just so happens that there is the Blue River Recreation Path going from Breckenridge to Frisco which is a cross country ski trail in winter. So, Jack, Rudy and I got out before sunrise to skijor me to Frisco for my seminar (Nancy, then drove to Frisco to bring Jack & Rudy home). What a genius plan!

Imagine my delight during every break in the seminar to say to other attendees, "Guess how I got here today?" Puzzled, all would say, "Uh, how?" to which I'd respond "By skijoring; Jack & Rudy towed me from Breckenridge to here for this meeting!" That answer would get wide-eyed and stunned responses from everyone I said it to. What a fun and special ride to my seminar!!!!

Anyway, back to skijoring. The rec path from Breckenridge to Frisco mirrors both Highway 9 and the Blue River (thus its name). At various points we swing close enough to Highway 9 for cars driving to Breckenridge to see us. We always get approving honks and cheers from any open windows as the oncomers see me zipping along under Jack & Rudy power!

Right around sunrise at this point as we swing close enough to Highway 9
to our right to entertain the highway travelers.

Along the way, the recreation path has 4 different road crossings where I must remove my skis, walk across the road and then put the skis back on. Well, I'm pretty fast at popping my skis off so that goes quick with Jack & Rudy barely pausing. But, on the other side of the road, I am much slower and putting my skis down and stepping into the bindings. I'm actually quite fast at this by "skier standards" but am also quite slow by "Siberian Husky standards" - just ask Jack & Rudy.

"If you are going to be that 'slow', we are going to roll snow angels
to entertain ourselves!
" went the snow rolling goofballs at all
4 road crossings today :)

Then, as we arrive in Frisco, we always get the entertaining "fly by the stables" skijoring from Jack & Rudy. The horses are distracting to them but not as distracting as moose or elk which bring them to a standstill :)

"Look at all the horses! But not a moose, keep going!" demonstrates
the distracted but not stopping fun kids.

Today's video highlight? How about going back to the beginning. Come along as we start this morning's skijor by the dim light of dawn and take off along the rec path to deliver me to my seminar in Frisco! Such fun!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Finally, in Frisco to hand Jack & Rudy off to Nancy but we must share end of run treats first!

"Thanks for letting us be your delivery vehicle this morning!" says the
happy kids awaiting end of run treats.

What a fun ride to work today: 8.2 miles traveled with 400 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 22 MPH.

2023/2024 Season to Date: 66 days on the trails covering 555.8 miles with 54,200 feet of elevation climbed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment