Monday, February 1, 2021

Useful

 Pretty shot of Breckenridge Ski Resort across the valley from Jack, Rudy and I skijoring Boreas Pass:

Nice postcard of the ski resort.
Nice running form from Jack & Rudy :)

I proved myself worth having along and useful this morning! But, before we get to that, let's document the morning's skijor tour:

We started with a quick lap on the lower trail on Baldy Mountain. A fast & fun warmup lap:

Flying Jack & Rudy topping 22 MPH for their warmup exercise :)

After the fast warmup, it was time to dip into the backcountry for technical terrain connecting Baldy to Boreas. A fast warmup lap for the body followed by a narrow technical lap for the brain:

Winding through the trees on the technical backcountry connector
from Baldy to Boreas.

We then dropped out of the backcountry and onto the fast & wide main Boreas Pass Trail. Come along and watch as Jack & Rudy open up the throttle on Boreas. Wheeee!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Ok, enough of the usual :) Now for my starring role of the day. I was today's moose spotter!

We were cruising along Boreas when I noticed Jack & Rudy's "moose detectors" go off. It's hard to explain in words, but it is clear as day in person when they have caught the "scent of moose" and switch into moose seeking mode on the trails. Once I see their moose detectors go ON, I start scanning every direction for moose. Typically Jack or Rudy (especially Jack) will spot the moose before me if it is visible from the trail. But not today. As we were cruising along, I spotted the moose laying down off trail and below Jack & Rudy's line of sight:

The moose, the moose - I see it!!!! The red arrow shows you the moose
laying down below Jack & Rudy's line of sight. 

Jack & Rudy continued to scan the terrain themselves as their moose detectors instructed them. But, neither of them were able to see the down moose from their low angle. Once I verified there were no other moose closer to the trail, I stopped Jack & Rudy, backed them up and pointed out the moose. I wanted them to know their moose detectors were indeed accurate, it was just a bad visual angle for them. That's right, I was the moose spotting hero of the day. I proved useful and earned my keep :)

"Whoa! Thanks dad! We didn't see her laying down until you pointed
us over side of the trail and down the hill! We see her now!
" declares
moose staring Jack & Rudy.

I tried zooming to showcase MY moose, but the zoom is pretty blurry. Oh well, I saw MY moose :)

MY moose laying down in the snow.

A proud day for the human being the official moose spotter :)

"You earned the right to come with again!" declares Jack & Rudy.
"YOU? No way, you don't have moose skills! I know it!" states Zorro
who has never seen me spot a moose before him :)

A fun day skijoring Baldy and Boreas with the proud human actually proving himself useful: 9.2 miles traveled with 700 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 22 MPH.

2020/2021 Season to Date: 73 days on the trails covering 587.7 miles with 51,400 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment