Friday, January 11, 2013

New Skis, Same Fun

Trying out our new pair of skis on the trails today... New skis, same fun skijoring in & around the Indiana Creek trails!
Pretty snow covered trees, pretty snow covered Max, pretty snow covered Zorro.
Having a blast skijoring in 2-4 inches of fresh snow with more snow continuing to fall on us.
It is not often you get to buy a new pair of skis "in season" - typically I buy all my equipment (skis, poles, boots, bindings, clothes) during the pre and post season sales. But, I have had my eyes on a certain pair of Rossignols and, low and behold, The-House.com had them on sale last week! Woo Hoo!

This new pair of Rossignols are to become my new "fast skis" - the skis I use on packed or groomed trails with less than 5 inches of new snow. Well, 2-4 inches of new snow today on the packed trails in Indiana Creek - so, out came the new skis to go for their first run. As the video below shows - success!

The GPS clocked us at 20 MPH along this stretch of trail.
I think we can say the new "fast skis" are definitely fast!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Our inventory of skis is really growing -
Peeking in the "ski box" on top of the jeep.. From top to bottom:
1) Our "rock skis" - an old pair of Rossignols that I got at a ski swap - fast & good in sketchy conditions.
2) Our "powder skis" - a pair of Rossignol Evos that excel in deep snow and/or steep terrain.
3) Our new "fast skis" - a cool pair of black Rossignols designed for packed trails with minimal powder.
It was snowing pretty good on us all day - that is great, we need some fresh powder on the trails!
Cruising along far back in Indiana Creek. That is not fog or low clouds in the foreground, that is fresh
falling snow! Whee!
An extremely successful day trying out the new skis: 7.7 miles, 1100 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH. I can hardly wait to see what these skis produce after a few more outings getting a feel for their behavior. Zoom!

3 comments:

  1. Jealous of the new skis! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice! I use waxless skis for skijoring - they are just easier to maintain than waxed skis and I do not need the "speed boost" waxed could give me with my two Siberians already pulling at 20+ MPH :-)

      Delete
  2. I live in Breck and want to take my dog skijoring. Is it possible to skijor with downhill skis? She's a 50lb shepard mix.

    ReplyDelete