Friday, January 10, 2020

New Trail

Such focused partners at our "end of run" treat session!
"Tap, tap - hand them out!" says Zorro tapping my leg :)
"Ready and waiting!" say focused Jack & Rudy.
Zorro came with on a full skijor yesterday and we plan him joining for a full outing tomorrow. So, today we gave him most of the day off while I took Jack & Rudy skijoring the backcountry trails on Baldy Mountain.

I did not think I'd ever say this, but today Jack & Rudy skijored a trail neither Zorro or I had ever been on before! Amazing! Well, it helped that this trail was just built last summer as one of two trails to access the new Sisters Cabin (a backcountry hut where you can stay overnight). The trail we were on was an extension of the pre-existing Nightmare on Baldy Trail. This trail was extended last summer to carry skiers/snowshoers up Baldy to the new cabin. So, technically speaking, Zorro & I HAD been on the pre-existing Nightmare on Baldy Trail before; but the section we were on today was the new extension that neither Zorro or I had ever been on before. A new trail with the kids!
Nice look at the new trail that winds you through the trees as you ascend Baldy Mountain.
While this new trail is primarily uphill (in the direction we were going), there were a few downhill dips to get some speed. Come along for a short video showcasing the new trail on Baldy Mountain leading to the new Sisters Cabin. Wheeee!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Eventually we had to turn off the new trail and head back towards the primary trail on Baldy to get back to the trailhead. Once we turned off the set trail, it was breaking trail to get back to the main trail system on Baldy. Nice aerobic work for the youngsters!
Breaking trail! Love the "snow poof" you can see in front of snowplowing Rudy!
The reward for breaking trail? Well, we eventually got onto the fast & wide main trail on Baldy Mountain. Time to open things up!
Zoom we go!!!
I paused to take in the view from high up on Baldy. At least Rudy enjoyed the view too. As for Jack, well I paused...
"Views Schmews - you stopped, I roll!" demonstrates goofy Jack.
"Ok, it is pretty nice from way up here!" adds my mature Rudy (haha hehe, mature).
Finally, we met up with Zorro to add him in the team to finish the outing. Here's a great shot of the powerful trio towing me uphill to finish the day!
Uphill POWER!!!!
I never thought I'd say this, but a new trail for Jack & Rudy today that Zorro & I had never been on before: 8.2 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2019/2020 Season to Date: 63 days on the trails covering 435.6 miles with 41,600 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment