(1) Start at French Gulch and go straight up a VERY steep Forest Road 567. This exhilarating section took us up 900 feet in under a mile. Phew, that's a workout for all.
(2) After cresting high above French Gulch, we continued on Forest Road 567 down into the Swan Valley area. This took us down about 1100 feet over 2.5 miles of snowmobile trails - "scary steep" for a few short sections, but mostly a gentle ride down.
(3) After connecting into Swan Valley, we took South Fork Swan Road up & out for a little jog (this road is closed to cars in the winter, but well traveled by snowmobiles). After doing about 400 feet of gentle up, we turned around and headed down towards Good Times.
(4) After taking a quick break to listen to the Good Times Howls, we started again towards Good Times and skijored to their front entrance and then down Tiger Road back towards civilization.
(5) A little ways past Good Times, it got interesting - we started running out of snow! I had no cellphone reception, so I could not text Nancy to pick us up. So, we got creative - we skijored the shoulders of the road, the middle of the road, basically anyplace with a little snow or ice until we got back into cell coverage. In total, we went about 2 miles on very sketchy terrain (going somewhat slow to make sure we avoided exposed rock & dirt).
Overall, a fun & successful time connecting French Gulch to Swan Valley; but a little disappointing terrain for the last 2 miles.
|An old abandoned mining cabin on the route between French Gulch/Swan Valley.|
I was checking the GPS for the correct route down - if I stop for too long, Zorro
always plants his butt in a statement of, "I'm dying standing still, can we go yet?!"
|At another "check the GPS" break, Max decides to roll in the snow to cool off.|
|Zorro coming to inspect Max's snow angel. Every Siberian owner knows what|
happened next (after they "locked eyes")... Yep, a Siberian wrestlefest broke
out in the middle of the trail.