Thursday, December 26, 2019

Moose Meadow

Good thing we all like each other as our noses are almost touching as we await 'end of run' treats this morning :)
Everybody happy and in tight awaiting the treats to come out!
We gave Zorro most of the day off this morning to let him rest. I took Jack & Rudy to terrain they have never skijored before. We started off laying fresh tracks for over 4 miles:
3+ inches fresh snow all to ourselves in an untouched winter wonderland of snow.
Our goal was to get to a place I refer to as moose meadow. I have never been skijoring to this meadow without Max or Zorro; but they two of them always loved to reach this point. It is regularly full of the scent, prints and occasional sighting of moose - thus moose meadow. As I said, the last time I skijored to this meadow was with Max & Zorro. After Max passed unexpectedly, this was too far a skijor for solo Zorro and then it was too far for young Jack & Rudy. Well, Jack & Rudy can now make it to this meadow but, unfortunately, it is too much for Zorro to do at his age. I had a great time introducing Jack & Rudy to moose meadow, but it was still a bittersweet event for me. Here we come, exiting the dense forest and dropping into moose meadow. As you can see across the meadow, this habitat is surrounded by dense trees - a magical moose meadow in the middle of the forest!
Cruising along as we drop into Moose Meadow.
What did Jack & Rudy think of moose meadow? Well, they missed the point at first and thought we were in rodent meadow ;)
"Great meadow, I sense rodents under the snow - DUNK!" demonstrates silly Jack.
"I agree - rodents galore! Incoming!!!!!" performs swan diving Rudy.
After searching for rodents, Jack's head popped up and his focus was taken across the meadow. Yes, moose!!!!! Jack's moose sensor has developed into a very accurate device. Rudy's is still coming along. I knew by Jack's intensity that he was locked on moose. By the time I spun around with the camera, all I saw was a big moose butt disappearing into the trees.
"Whoa - forget the rodents, I smell and see MOOSE!" declares moose detector Jack.
"What? Where? Why do I always miss it?!?" asks young and still a moose amateur Rudy.
I am not sure if Rudy saw the moose or not; but Jack definitely did. The torch has now been passed and Max & Zorro's moose meadow is now Jack's moose meadow with Rudy almost there.

Done with the meadow and time to head back the way we came. How about this for a postcard picture of Breckenridge Ski Resort across the valley with pretty sled dogs in the foreground?
Postcard shot.
I love today's video highlight of maturing Jack & Rudy. Come along as we are flying along a straightaway until we approach a tight right. I use my right ski to snowplow a moment to slow everyone down as we enter the turn. I do not need to say a thing to Jack & Rudy as they use the "feel" to automagically slow down until they feel my skis back in "fast mode" when we exit the turn and open up the throttle again. Skijoring by feel without the needs for verbal commands - perfect!!!!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Nearing the end and we added Zorro in the team for a fast and fun sprint to the finish - wheeee!
Happy, happy boys towing me quickly to the finish!
A very entertaining and impressive skijor from young Jack & Rudy but also a bittersweet day to visit moose meadow without Max or Zorro for the first time ever: 9.1 miles traveled with 900 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 18 MPH.

2019/2020 Season to Date: 51 days on the trails covering 344.0 miles with 33,400 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment