Friday, March 20, 2020

Glance

Fresh snow around our toes as we enjoy today's 'end of run' treats :)
"Ah, feels good on the toes. Now, how about those treats?!?!?" says the happy
and focused trio.
We started this morning giving young Jack & Rudy the first leg to exercise the kids before meeting up with Zorro. With a few inches of new snow on the trail, we were able to go up, down and back up the backside of Sally Barber Mine. Fun shot of the flying kids on the down leg:
Zoom, zoom!
As we were jogging along the 2nd "up leg", my pals both locked off trail simultaneously. "Uh oh, moose!" I quickly thought as this is known moose territory. You bet I glanced right as soon as I noticed this "hunting glance" from Jack & Rudy.
"Beep, beep - wildlife to the right!" demonstrates the hunting pair
without breaking stride in their jog.
Their glance looked MUCH more intense in realtime than the prior photo seems to imply. I was certain I would see a moose in the trees to our right. But, to my surprise, I saw nothing. "Just a camouflaged moose deep in the trees," I told myself and relaxed as "deep in the trees" is safe. Then, about 20 yards up the trail I realized what had caught their attention. The smell of skunk stunk up my nose - ew! Of course, Jack & Rudy's noses are MUCH better than mine so they smelled the skunk well before I did. While a skunk sure does stink, it is much safer than a moose. A skunk will not approach and trample you, it will only spray if you approach it :)

After the up/down/up of the backside of Sally Barber, it was time to crest at the mine and fly down the front side to meet up with Zorro:
Crest-n-Go at the mine - wheeee!
Come along for another "Sally Barber Crest-n-Go" video highlight from this season. I am convinced Jack & Rudy view the mine as a "green flag" to GO and floor it down the other side of the trail :)
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Done with Sally Barber and time to add fun Zorro into the team for a mini run out & back in French Gulch:
All smiles from the power trio with a cute glance to Nancy from Rudy.
Look at that powerful 11-3/4 year old Zorro!!!!
Unfortunately, the French Gulch Trail is pretty much done for the season (this is always the first trail to die in March or April). We could only do a very short "out" before encountering trail wide mud and dirt. Outside of a serious dump of new snow, we are done with this trail for the 2019/2020 season (except maybe a mini "out & back" as we did this morning). Oh well, still plenty of snow left elsewhere!!! 7.2 miles traveled with 600 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2019/2020 Season to Date: 126 days on the trails covering 855.9 miles with 78,400 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment