Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Searching

 Searching the meadow for moose.

"We smell you! Where are you?!?" asks intense Jack & Rudy!

We were skijoring on Baldy Mountain when Jack did one of his "MOOSE! Must Exit Trail Here!' declarations. So, we drifted off trail into the deep snow in search of moose. This is the same location we saw a mother and child moose 15 days ago. Despite the intensity of Jack & Rudy, we failed to spot any moose. But, I could see their noses twitching away. The scent of moose was clearly all around us, they must have been hidden in the nearby dense trees. 

Outside of searching for moose, we spent the day skijoring up and down Baldy Mountain. Baldy is one of the steeper trails we skijor but is a blast to do with my partners when there is fresh snow to use for control. High up on Baldy, we had fresh snow in a set track barely two Siberians wide. 

Zipping along, shoulder to shoulder, in the fresh snow in a tight set track.

Fun thing to notice in the prior photo - a nice shot of my one of my brand new skis (second outing on these skis). You do not see my skis much in most photos/videos. If you see the skis, that means I am in a tuck and skiing hard to keep upright and under control behind my pals. When you don't see the skis, I am more upright and enjoying the tow behind my sled dogs. But, this much of the ski visible tells you I was working hard; this is one product of skijoring steep Baldy.

A little closer to the trailhead and the set trail is very wide. We love putting smiles on the faces of skiers we encounter on the trail. Who can resist smiling at fun & impressive Jack & Rudy?

"Hi... Bye... Made you smile!" says flying on by Jack & Rudy.

Come along for the video counterpart to the prior photo. We are flying along as we encounter this skier coming up trail. Jack & Rudy continue on by, putting a smile on the skier's face and off we continue to go. Once again, notice how much & frequently you see my skis in this video. A real workout on my legs to keep up & under control on steep Baldy behind flying Jack & Rudy!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Since our route was up & down Baldy, we had to turnaround at the top. Turnaround?

Turnaround, roll around! What a pair of goofballs!

Finally, as we always do, celebrating the day with 'end of run' treats with retired Zorro:

"Ready!" declares focused Zorro.
"I'm next!" says happy Jack.
"Why am I always third?" asks curious Rudy :)

A fun day up & down steep Baldy: 6.4 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed.

2020/2021 Season to Date: 31 days on the trails covering 239.2 miles with 21,800 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment