Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Speed Day Vibes

Some days we only have time for a short skijor outing. Near the start, I usually say something along the lines of "Short outing today, no need to pace ourselves." Of course I do not expect Max & Zorro to understand that statement, especially since I do not say the same thing before every short outing.

But... I am convinced I give off a "short outing/fast day" vibe (or smell or something) because Max & Zorro always pick up on my "no need to pace yourself" vibe on every such outing. I am not sure what I do, yet they get the vibe and know to go all out! On long outings, they will relax into a comfortable jog to pace themselves; but the "short outing" vibe I emit transforms them into sprinting machines on these quick outings. Smart boys...
Beautiful shot of sprinting Siberians. All 4 back legs outstretched in unison as they
are unleashing themselves full throttle!
We had a small amount of snowfall late yesterday and we were happy & surprised to find ourselves laying fresh tracks in 1-3 inches of snow (on a popular trail) for the entire outing. Wheeee!

A nice clip of our sprint along the French Gulch trail.
Excuse the blurry smudge in the bottom center of the clip - that is a nose print from
Zorro that I did not realize he made until after out outing :-)
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

A couple of more fun shots from the day:

Cruising along and laying fresh tracks - such fun!
I just called out "wait" after a recent "almost done" command as we need to stop and
turnaround at this point - the Siberian reaction:
"Really? Already? Well, ok, if you say so!" says happy little Zorro.
"I heard nothing. Nope not a thing - need more exercise!" says unimpressed Max.
Tally for today's short outing: 6.2 miles, 700 feet of elevation climbed, top speed of 21 MPH and "speed day" vibes understood by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment