Monday, February 26, 2024

Fresh Tracks Monday

Laying fresh tracks in an inch or so of fresh snow atop otherwise fast, groomed nordic trails!

Zipping along laying fresh tracks! Wheeee!

Our plan for this morning was to skijor the upper elevation trails at Breckenridge Nordic Center as they tend to groom those trails on Monday mornings. Well, the groomer did go out early; but, in between the time the groomer ran and when we got on the trails, about an inch or so of fresh snow fell! So today was a fun time laying fresh tracks in a light layer of new snow atop recently groomed trails. What fun!

We had the chance to go "out & back" on several sections of the upper elevation trails. On any uphill stretch, I would move us to the far right of the trail so that we'd have the center with untouched powder for the way back. The plan worked perfectly :)

Catching air laying fresh tracks down the center of the trail with our
"out tracks" far to the left. Oh, pretty shot of the Kathy's Viewpoint Warming
Hut to our left as well.

Different section of trail, same results: far right on the way up for untouched powder on the way back down! Whee!

Catching air again with our up tracks to the far left and the center with
untouched, fresh snow!

Now come along for the video counterpart to the prior photo. Watch as we are having a blast flying along in the morning's new snow! Once you are done, watch again and pay attention to seconds 31, 56 and 59 in the video....

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Did you notice anything at 31, 56 & 59 seconds? My ski tracks are still on the trail but Jack & Rudy's tracks disappear. Where did the kids go? Well, we had 3 rodent diving interruptions on the way up this trail at those three points. Each time the kids jumped off trail to search for rodents under the snow. Silly kids!

This was the dive corresponding to their tracks disappearing off the trail
at the 59 second point of the video. Jack lunged off first to dig for rodents
and then Rudy, of course, followed suit with one of his patented, high arching
rodent dives!

After a little digging into the snow, the kids came up empty but quite proud of their attempts. Just see for yourself:

"That was fun! We love diving for rodents even if we fail to catch one!" says
the happy, happy kids coming back on trail to me after the off trail rodent hunt.

Back to the trailhead and we found a great, tall snow wall to climb for end of run treats! We've been settling for medium sized snow walls a lot lately as that is all that exists; but today was a wonderful nice high wall for treats:

"Climbed, situated and READY for treats!" says the happy kids.

A fun day with the surprising chance to lay fresh tracks almost all outing long! 9.8 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 22 MPH.

2023/2024 Season to Date: 92 days on the trails covering 777.0 miles with 75,000 feet of elevation climbed.


Sunday, February 25, 2024

Perfect

Look at this beautiful, freshly groomed trail we found to skijor towards Buffalo Park at Rabbit Ears Pass yesterday morning!!!

What PERFECT conditions as Jack & Rudy catch some air zipping
along the freshly groomed sprint track!

Now come along for the video counterpart to the prior photo. We begin with polite Jack & Rudy patiently waiting for me to get my skis on. Then, as soon as I say, "Ok guys" off we GO flying along the perfect trail. Wheeee! The kids were as excited to find this fresh groom as me!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

As we started out pedal to the metal on this perfect groom track, I was thinking, "The kids are FLYING today, we are going to top 11 or 12 miles easily!" But, then the groomed trail ended after only a few miles and turned into a trail of soft snowmobile tracks. I paused momentarily to decide if we should turnaround and repeat the groomed trail a couple of times or if we should continue onward. Well, I paused....

"You paused! We 'Stop, Drop and ROLL'!" goes silly Jack & Rudy who take
every pause as a moment to introduce some comedy to the day.
You can see the groom track ends just ahead of Rudy and transitioned to a
path of snowmobile tracks.

Once I ascertained the snowmobile tracks were pretty fresh and, thus, nice and soft, I decided to continue onward. Good decision by me as we then had a beautiful skijor out & back in soft snowmobile tracks. Wheeee!

The fun kids keeping the speed going zipping along in soft snowmobile tracks.
While the soft tracks slowed us a bit more than the perfect groom, it was only
a slight decrease in speed :)

After a few miles in the snowmobile tracks and it was time to turnaround and return on the same trail. Since Jack & Rudy already rolled snow angels at my pause above, it was time for a different comedy skit at the turnaround point. How about hopping off trail to search for rodents under the snow?

"DUNK! Where are those pesky rodents? I can smell them!" says head dunking Jack.
"You keep looking there, and I'll face plow over here!" adds snow plowing Rudy.
Despite lots of digging and exploring under the snow, neither came up with a
rodent in his mouth, phew :)

Finally, once back to the groomed trail and it was pedal to the metal again! Zoom!

Nice lift from Jack the cannonball next to Rudy the flying missile!

That was fun, right guys?

"Oh yes, we loved it ALL!" says the happy, happy kids awaiting
end of run treats atop a small snow wall.

A super fast day on the groomed surface and then slowed a little (but still a great time) in soft snowmobile tracks: 10.1 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 23 MPH.

2023/2024 Season to Date: 91 days on the trails covering 767.2 miles with 74,000 feet of elevation climbed.

 

Friday, February 23, 2024

Eight Percent

Who's having a great time on this morning's snowy skijor?

"We are having a BLAST!" exclaims the happy, happy kids.

The forecast this morning was "8% chance of snow" (or 92% chance of NOT snowing). Well, when we arrived at the trailhead it was DUMPING snow. The active snow and accompanying wind made Jack & Rudy very frisky and they were raring to go! Here we are 5 seconds into the start of the outing...

This is NOT fog, it is actively falling heavy snow!
You can see one big flake just above Jack's tail about to hit the camera.
All the white speckles you see against Jack & Rudy's fur are snowflakes
as well. 

Here is another look at the dumping snowfall. Usually you can see a bunch of mountains, including Rabbit Ears Peak, from this location. Today, it was very low visibility due to active snowfall instead!

Zipping along what is usually a panoramic view spot; but not today!
You can see a few more snowflakes about to hit the camera in this
shot as well.

We love it when the forecast is wrong in our favor (and our favorite is SNOWING :). The prior two photos do not do justice to just how much it was snowing. So, come along for a video of the outing. With video, you can see all  the snow falling around and on us as Jack & Rudy are truly enjoying the conditions!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

We did an "out and back" on trails near Dumont Lake at Rabbit Ears Pass. This meant we had to turnaround at one point. Yep, it was the usual turnaround goofs!

"Turnaround! Roll Around!" goes the snow rolling goofs.

When the snow did let up a bit, we still had fresh snow and wind blown drifts to plow through:

Kicking up powder as we plow through a wind blown drift of snow.

Jack & Rudy really enjoyed today's "active snow skijor" - just ask them :)

"Oh that was FUN!" says the happy kids awaiting end of run treats.
Notice the snowflake on Rudy's red fur by his ear and notice the snowflake
on my neck. It was snowing all outing long - sometimes intensely and sometimes
a bit lighter but snowing the entire outing.

Our favorite kind of "8% chance of snow" - 9 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2023/2024 Season to Date: 90 days on the trails covering 757.1 miles with  73,200 feet of elevation climbed.