Sunday, June 5, 2016

Last Rabbit

This morning was our last skijor at Rabbit Ears Pass for the season :(

Here are two pictures to make you say, "Last run? Why?!?"
Catching air for the last time on Rabbit Ears this season.
Topping 20 MPH for the last time on Rabbit Ears this season.

Now, how can this have been our last run given how beautiful the previous two photos look? Well, I'll spare you some of the ugly terrain photos. But, the real reason it is our last run is accessibility. The terrain that is still in great shape is on the other side of a water crossing that I will not be able to long jump after today.

Below is the crossing. The "good snow" is on one side of this crossing and the "melting fast, dead today snow" is on the other side. Unfortunately the trailhead is on the bad side of the crossing.
"Yikes, this is getting wider every day!" exclaim the water inspecting pair.

The water crossing may look impassible in the previous shot. But, I have figured out a way to increase my motivation to find a place narrow enough for me to long jump. "What motivation?" you ask. Well, take my skis off and throw them over the crossing!

One ski in the air flying over the crossing with the other already on the ground across the crossing:
"Nice throw!" states coach Max.

Okay, skis on the other side of the water, now I am motivated to find a section narrow enough for me to long jump (Max & Zorro are no problem, they can out long jump me by a mile :)
"Cannot believe you threw the skis over! You are as goofy as us!" declare my silly partners loving
that I threw the skis over (knowing that now we have to cross and then can continue skijoring).

Truth be told, I did see a narrow looking crossing before I threw the skis. But, once we got to the crossing it was actually the limit of my long jumping abilities as I almost did not make it over! Thus, the water crossing will be impassible by tomorrow we have to say this is our last run at Rabbit Ears Pass (plus the snow is melting 6+ inches a day anyway).
"Snow is still so nice on the good side of the crossing! We need to engage you in some long
jumping training this summer for next winter!" declare my happy partners at our turnaround
point of the day.

"End of season?" you ask. Well, no, we still have Buffalo Pass left which is always the last skijor-able terrain in Colorado. It is a lot of work to get to & from Buffalo Pass, so stay tuned while we rest up for a few days before making the adventure to Buff Pass to surpass 1300 miles for the season!

Today's tally: 8.3 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2015/2016 Season to Date: 153 days on the trails covering 1287.3 miles with 140,050 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment