Saturday, November 14, 2020

Yay Snow

 Jack and Rudy showing what they think about waiting for me to get my skis on to start this morning's skijor run:

"Dude, you are slow so we roll!!!!" demonstrate the snow rolling goofs.

Notice the blur blocking Jack's head. We embarked on this morning's run amidst steady snowfall with a forecast for it to increase in intensity and wind! This was not a forecast that Nancy and retired Zorro wanted to wait in for us at the trailhead :)  So, Nancy & Zorro stayed home while the kids (Jack & Rudy) and I headed out into the developing storm. Well, since I did not have Nancy's help to get us started, Jack & Rudy showed what they thought of my slow preparation by rolling snow angels while I got all my equipment on. Goofy kids.

Well, the forecast was completely accurate. The snow (and wind) kept increasing in intensity our entire outing. I'd wipe the camera clear only to have it covered and blurred by snow in under a minute. Here is seconds after wiping the camera clear once:

A glimpse of Jack & Rudy as there are snow spots below Rudy,
above Jack and across the top of the video view.

Here is what a "cleared to blurred" video looks like. Come along as I just wiped the camera clear as we are galloping along and the camera becomes blurred again in 30 seconds.
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

We were on the trails at Breckenridge Nordic Center most of the outing. These trails had been groomed Thursday evening. So, we found ourselves in a few inches of fresh snow over a groomed trail most of the day. But, we did dip off the main trail twice to get some aerobic trail breaking fun in the deep side trails:
Nice clear shot of breaking trail as I just wiped the camera clear
as we ventured off track. Wheeee!

Did I mention the forecast was for increasing snow and wind? Well, here you go with a shot of dumping and blowing snow all around us:

Skijoring in a whiteout! Wow!

The last 1/3 of our outing looked like the photo above - skijoring in a blinding whiteout! If you can see the trail, then your eyes are better than mine! I could barely see Jack & Rudy. Luckily I know this network of trails, as do Jack & Rudy, so we just glided blindly by memory back to the trailhead. 

Yay for Snow! But, what an interesting day!!! 9.8 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 21 MPH.

2020/2021 Season to Date: 7 days on the trails covering 46.8 miles with 4500 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment