Monday, March 31, 2014

Off the Beaten Track

It was a day of laying fresh tracks and breaking trail as we took lesser known trails up, down and around Baldy Mountain.
Laying fresh tracks as we encounter two old, abandoned mining cabins.
Breaking trail in about 10 inches of snow - love the view of powerful Max hopping
and putting his shoulders into pulling the human through the deep snow.

There was fresh snow in the trees & on the ground with a light snow falling most of the day. I could pretend it was snowing hard and show the photo below; but not really... Max & Zorro are straightening out from a tight right on the trail while I am still coming through the corner. Unbeknownst to me was a low hanging tree branch full of snow as you came through the corner. Max & Zorro went right under the branch while I ducked but still clipped the branch and knocked the snow it was holding on top of me!
It had the makings of a perfect tight turn as my skis are parallel while getting propelled by
Max & Zorro. But, then, "low branch, duck... not enough" as snow dumped off the tree
and on top of me.

Lots of untouched powder for most of the route...
Max powering us up as Zorro is slipping back a bit in the deep snow.
"Hey, my legs are not as long as Max's - I'm trying to keep up!" says short Zorro.

Arriving at the Jeep to end the outing.
"I'll wait while you figure out how to get down the slope." says polite Max.
"This way, this way!" states happy Zorro wondering what I am pausing for.

A day dominated by laying fresh tracks & breaking trail with lots of elevation: 6.7 miles with 1200 feet of elevation climbed.

2013/2014 Season to Date: 120 days on the trails covering 1035.8 miles with 120,300 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment