Tuesday, January 21, 2020

26 MPH

Look what we did today - topping 26 MPH skijoring!!!
Flying Zorro, Rudy and Jack as we top 26 MPH on the beautiful
groomed trail at Gold Run Nordic Center! Zoom!
Today was young Jack & Rudy's fastest ever skijor. Their first time topping 26 MPH! Their previous top speed was 24.8 MPH. I thought the kids might hit 26 MPH this season now that they are full grown and in their prime. Well, today was the day!

But, look at that photo above. Here's what really surprised me - Zorro was with!!!!! Yes, 11.5 year old Zorro topped 26 MPH this morning - wow! I expected Jack & Rudy's record speed to happen when Zorro was not with this season. Boy was I happily wrong! Zorro has topped 26 MPH 12 times before in his skijor career (and even topped 27 MPH once). But the last time Zorro hit 26 MPH was with Max in February 2017. Since then, Zorro & I skijored solo (hitting 24 MPH) and then we were training young & growing Jack & Rudy. I knew by the time Jack & Rudy were mature enough to top 26 MPH that Zorro would be over 11.5 years old and I figured he would not have that speed burst still in his engine. I am thrilled to be WRONG and Zorro still has an incredible burst when he's feeling it! Woo Hoo Zorro!

What is funny is that we took the day off yesterday. I think my partners were determined to show me today that a "day off" is a silly thing to do :)  Anyway, we went to the fast trails at Gold Run Nordic Center and were thrilled to be first tracks on the freshly groomed trail!
Freshly groomed for us to lay first tracks! Perfect for topping 26 MPH!
My pals were zipping around the trails all morning long - all that saved up energy from a silly day off yesterday. Our route took us out & back on the Peabody and Preston trails at Gold Run. Even though all three were juiced to run all morning, the kids HAD to get in one comedy act at our turnaround. The 2 year olds cannot go an entire outing without at least one comical interlude:
"Kids - it's FRESHLY groomed - get up and let's ZOOM!" says excited to go Zorro.
"But we are turning around - that means roll snow angels first!" responds Rudy.
"Ah, rub a dub dub!" adds silly Jack.
What does 26 MPH skijoring look like from behind? Well, come along and watch :)
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

All smiles as we complete the fast & fun day on the groomie zoomie trails:
"Whee - that was FUN!" says the happy trio towing me to the finish.
I would say today's 'end of run' treats were VERY well earned by my speedy trio:
"Ye of little faith - I still got it!' says focused Zorro.
"That was FAST and FUN!" adds happy Jack & Rudy.
I thought the highlight of this morning's outing was going to be that we surpassed 500 miles for the season, putting Jack & Rudy well on track for their first 1000+ mile season.

Well, I was wrong, the highlight was Jack & Rudy's first 26 MPH skijor and Zorro's first 26 MPH since we were with Max back in February 2017 - wow! 6.4 miles traveled with 700 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 26 MPH.

2019/2020 Season to Date: 73 days on the trails covering 503.4 miles with 47,600 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment