Friday, January 14, 2022

Foreshadow

Uh-oh....

The kids announcing that a duel was to take place on the trails
this morning!

As I was stepping into my skis at the trailhead this morning, I felt a tug on the gangline in front of me. I figured it was the usual "trailhead silliness" and expected to look up and see Jack & Rudy rolling snow angels as they waited for me to get my skis on. Imagine my surprise when I looked up and captured the oncoming duel you see in the prior photo. When the kids announce a duel before we even get started, that's a real foreshadow for what is most likely to come later in the outing. Sure enough, the dueling kids lived up to their foreshadow.

Three times during the outing, a "talk, tag, tackle & roll" event broke out. Here are a couple of clips from the first duel:

"Get back on the trail! I dare you!" yells Rudy to Jack who has dipped off
trail in response to Rudy's challenge.
"Did I really start this?" asks Jack looking back to me :)

Yes indeed, normally mellow Jack DID start the original duel you see in the first photo. Rudy, of course, will not back down from any challenge and the duel was on for the morning! Finally, Jack figured, "If I started it, I guess I'll finish it!

"Have at you! Poke!" responds Jack to Rudy's challenge for him to
come back on trail from the shoulder snow above. 

So there you have it - the dueling 4 year olds. The trailhead foreshadow was 100% correct!

After a few bouts along the way, Jack & Rudy finally realized we were on incredible trail conditions at Breckenridge Nordic Center. After a few team organization meetings with lectures from myself, we decided to skijor. Phew, I was losing my voice from all the lecturing! But, once they snapped into skijor mode, oh my did we FLY around the trails! Come along for some highlights.

Cool shot of cannonball Jack and missile Rudy in a tight and fast airborne zoom:

Impressive!

Or, how about this: the missile twins shooting along the trail as they propelled me to a top speed of 25 MPH this morning?

FLYING!

Or, how about a little hovering over the trail at mach speed?

Hover Huskies! Zoom!

I think you get it - once the kids settled the duel (it was a 'draw' :), they locked into super fast skijoring the rest of the outing. Come along for a fun video minute look into the fun. Amazing how the day started versus what we have in the video below!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Let's go tell retired mentor Zorro all about the day!

"A duel? Really? I would never..." says Zorro (who had many a duel
with Max on the trails in his heyday).
"Ok, we'll call it a draw and share 'end of run' treats!" summarizes
silly Jack & Rudy.

Oh those kids, from dueling goofballs to ridiculous speed demons - all in one outing: 10.4 miles traveled with 1100 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 25 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 60 days on the trails covering 482.5 miles with 45,200 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment