Friday, January 8, 2016

Speedway

"Good Morning!" from the Sally Barber Speedway! Zoom...
Flying along the Sally Barber Speedway (aka Sally Barber Mine Trail).

Sally Barber is one of our favorite "fast trails". There are lots of open straightaways to uncork the engine and the terrain is typically wide & fast packed. Today was a great example of how fast we can skijor Sally Barber. I decided to rename this trail the "Sally Barber Speedway" in tribute to today's fast outing. Partway along the trail and I stopped us for a minute or so to adjust my equipment...
"You about ready? I certainly am!" declares happy Max checking on my status.
"Engine on, foot hovering over the gas pedal. Can I get a 'green light' on this trail?" asks
all-business Zorro trying to patiently wait for my release command.

What happens when you pause the skijoring machine on a fast trail? Well, it is BOOOOM when you finally give the release. Watch as I utter the softest "Ok" and that is enough to launch Max & Zorro and flying along the trail we go - boooom then zooooom!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Sally Barber Speedway is fast & fun but it is also short. So, after a quick sprint in the speedway it was time to add an "out & back" in Moose Gulch (aka French Gulch) to the outing.
"Moose tracks and they smell very fresh!" exclaims Max.
"I know, I know and I think they went this way!" states Zorro staring left for moose.
"Scent of moose! Our noses say they must be nearby in the forest!" declare the moose
seeking pair.

Unfortunately, despite "tracks of moose" and "scent of moose" we failed to spot an actual moose on the outing today. Not a problem, though, still a great time had by all.
At our turnaround point in French Gulch.
"Really? I will turnaround, but my nose says keep going for moose!" states happy Max.
"Okay, I think the scent is stronger behind us anyway!" exclaims happy Zorro.

Sally Barber Speedway to Moose Gulch - what a fun outing: 8.9 miles traveled with 900 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 23 MPH.

2015/2016 Season to Date: 51 days on the trails covering 433.0 miles with 45800 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment