Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Snowing

Fresh snow on Baldy Mountain always leads to a fun, fun run - wheee!
Laying fresh tracks in the morning's new snow. Love the freshies on Baldy Mountain!

We only skijor Baldy Mountain after fresh snow. The terrain is very steep and the trail is so popular with backcountry skiers that new snow gets packed within a day or two of falling. But, if the snow is fresh, we have the funnest time skijoring up Baldy and then flying down in the freshies. I learned the hard way many years ago that Baldy's steepness + Max & Zorro's speed means it is impossible to skijor down without fresh powder to slow you down! Ouch, I still remember that lesson :)

But, back to today... There was 2-5 inches of fresh snow all over the trails with active snowfall during the entire outing. A perfect day for a Baldy Fun Run!

After a warm first two days of Spring, temperatures were back to the teens this morning. Cool temperatures plus fresh snow makes for frisky puppies!
"I'm feeling frisky little bro! Ready to punch the gas pedal?" says giddy Max to Zorro as we
came around a corner and into a fast straightaway with fresh snow!

Zorro's black coat is always quite useful for showcasing active snowfall during the outing...
I count 4 big snowflakes you can see against Zorro's black coat. It was snowing pretty hard
for parts of the outing. It is impossible to see the "snowfall against snow" and hard to see flakes
against Max's red & white coat; but Zorro is the perfect snowflake highlighter!

I do not wear goggles while skijoring and use a cap with bill instead to keep sun & snow out of my eyes. But, a couple times a year, the snow is falling so hard that I actually wish I had goggles as the snowflakes get under the bill and pelt my eyeballs. I tend to just squint and/or look down and put my trust in Max & Zorro to keep us on trail. That has never failed me yet - great partners. Today's short video clip shows us flying along the main Baldy Trail with active snow falling. I did not see most of this clip until I got home as my eyes were getting pelted by the snow! Wheeee!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Inspecting an old mining cabin on one of the side trails we explored on Baldy...
"This wall looks structurally sound to me - we should move in!" declares wall inspector Max.
"Agreed. Great layout inside - open floor plan with snow!" declares home inspector Zorro.

Fun morning using the fresh snow to play on steep Baldy Mountain: 7.7 miles traveled with 1400 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 19 MPH

2015/2016 Season to Date: 102 days on the trails covering 865.0 miles with 94200 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment