Monday, March 25, 2019

Skiing

A fun day exercising the human to start the outing and then the Siberians to end the outing :)
"What a fun day! Glad you could keep up back there!" say the happy trio at our turnaround
point of the outing.
How did we exercise the human? Well, we started the outing on a narrow backcountry trail. The trail is about one snowmobile wide which is wide enough for Zorro, Jack & Rudy to fit side by side and go fast. But, it is too narrow for me to put both skis in the set track. If I do, then I have no room to snowplow and my partners take that as a release signal to go as fast as they can with me having no ability to stop or slow down! What do I do? Well, put one ski "in track" to allow speed behind my partners and one ski "out of track" for speed control behind my wild partners.
Right ski "in track", shift weight there to encourage & allow speed.
Left ski "out of track", shift weight there to slow the speed machine.
Come along for a short glimpse of me skiing in/out of the single track. This is a real workout on my legs keeping the speed machine under control in such a narrow trail. We had about 1 mile of me working the terrain before finally dropping onto the wide trails of Gold Run Nordic Center. The video ends as we drop onto the wide trails. Love how polite Jack slows, looks back and makes sure I am ok before taking off with Zorro & Rudy on the wide trail :)
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Ok, done exercising the human, now it is Zorro, Jack & Rudy's turn. The next 4.6 miles of the outing were on wide nordic trails where I could sit back on my skis and let the sled dogs do all the work!
Aaaahhh, now this is what *I* like :)
End of the day's run and look who is rolling a snow angel to cool off - Rudy!!!
"Gotta roll and cool my jets!" demonstrates goofy Rudy.
"Snowcones, yum!" says snow eating Zorro.
"Tasty indeed!" adds snow licking Jack.
Jack, of course, rolled a snow angel during the outing too. He has an incredible streak of rolling at least one snow angel in every skijor outing of his young life! What a funny goof!

Exercise the human, then exercise the sled dogs: 5.6 miles traveled with 500 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 21 MPH.

2018/2019 Season to Date: 81 days on the trails covering 442.0 miles with 39,700 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment