Tuesday, December 15, 2020

New/Same

 I was breaking in a new set of skis this morning with Jack & Rudy.

New skis, same result :)

Jack & Rudy flying in front as they tow and propel me along the trail.
New skis, same result!

I have been waiting for the chance to use my new skis this season. I had been using my "rock skis" to start the season until we had enough snow to break out the new skis. I've been skijoring with Max/Zorro and now Jack/Rudy for 11 years now and all my previous skis were NNN cross country skis. Well, NNN has been retired by manufacturers and replaced with Turnamic. Today was my first ever skijor on Turnamic instead of NNN bindings. Felt the same to me :)

We headed out to the upper elevation trails at Breckenridge Nordic Center and were thrilled to find we were second tracks on the morning's fresh 3ish inches of new snow. Most of the outing, Jack & Rudy ignored the existing tracks and had fun towing me in the fresh snow:

Existing track to our left, fresh tracks to our front! Wheeee!

But, as you see in the first photo, Jack & Rudy decided to occasionally play in the existing track. Whenever this happened, it was pedal to the metal skijoring. Come along for some fast times testing out the new skis:

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

When we ski the trails at the nordic center, we often redo sections of trail as we "run out of terrain" otherwise. Jack & Rudy are happy to redo various sections and tow me back & forth; but it also means we get multiple turnaround events during the outing. Turnaround? Roll around?

Jack NEVER misses an opportunity to roll around at any turnaround!
Rudy was more interested in searching for rodents in the deep snow at this point.
Love the silly look on Jack's face!

Have no fear, Rudy clearly knew there would be other turnaround opportunities:

Back to normal with the snow rolling twins :)

Finally, a fun shot of the happy & focused trio back at the trailhead with Zorro:

"READY!" declares the fun trio :)

A beautiful morning breaking in the new skis on fresh snow! 10.3 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 21 MPH.

2020/2021 Season to Date: 30 days on the trails covering 232.8 miles with 20,800 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment