Thursday, March 3, 2022

Perfect

Near perfect stretch of groomed corduroy for Jack, Rudy and I to zoom, zoom, zoom!

Perfect corduroy along the left edge of this wide trail to uncork the skijoring
engine. Note the angle of the gangline puts me & my skis on the corduroy.
Perfect conditions for me to safely let Jack & Rudy set the speed & pace!!!

We spent yesterday morning doing a quick tour of the main snowmobile trails in and around Dumont Lake at Rabbit Ears Pass. The local snowmobile club grooms the main trails to keep them from getting too beat up and bumpy over a season of daily snowmobile traffic. Jack, Rudy and I are members of this local snowmobile club (Routt Powder Riders) as Jack & Rudy ARE snowmobiles after all and we love to share these trails :)

Usually you will find snowmobile tracks the entire width of the main trail within hours of a new groom. This still makes for very fun & fast terrain for Jack & Rudy as you see below:

Snowmobile tracks the full width of the trail at this point with
Jack & Rudy catching air.

A little further along and we still have snowmobile tracks the full width of the trail. But, notice anything in common between the following photo and the prior two?

How about: the synchronized & airborne Hover Huskies in all three shots. This tells you how fast, easy and fun it is for the kids to get out an run on snowmobile trails!

3 for 3 "hover husky" shots from yesterday morning's skijor!

While snowmobile tracks are perfect & easy for Jack & Rudy to run along; they can get a bit bumpy, uncontrollable or icy for me occasionally. "Uncontrollable?" you ask? Well, yes, if both my skis get caught in the runner tracks from snowmobiles, then I am locked in a frictionless ride, unable to slow down, until I get at least one ski out of the runner track! Back to the first photo above and notice what we found. For a nice extended stretch, the left side of the wide snowmobile trail was virtually untouched by tracks, leaving it as a virtually untouched groomed corduroy! You better believe I moved the team to the left of the trail as soon as I saw this to put myself on perfect stretch of groomie zoomie!

Come along for the video counterpart to what I was just describing: skijoring a "perfect stretch" along the left of the snowmobile trail near Dumont Lake. Notice that we have moved far left on the trail to use the perfect stretch of groomed corduroy that has been virtually untouched by the snowmobile traffic you see going along the middle of the trail. Cool!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

As usual, we had the goofballs rolling snow angels to cool off at our turnaround point of the day. Did you ever wonder what Jack & Rudy think/discuss while they roll snow angels and I stand and watch?

"You'd think he'd get down and join us! So refreshing!" says Jack to Rudy.
"No kidding, dumb human doesn't know what he's missing!" responds Rudy.
And, no, I have never yet been tempted to 'stop, drop, & roll' with them :)

While I do not join in rolling snow angels, I do participate in 'end of run' treats! Ok, I don't eat any, but I do hand them out!

"Nice treat bundle!" says Zorro focused on my stash.
"Yes, that looks like just enough!" adds inspector Jack.
"I'll take any & all treats!" replies mellow Rudy.

A great skijor on wide snowmobile trails at Dumont Lake with a wonderful perfect groomed stretch along the way: 7.8 miles traveled with 400 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 23 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 100 days on the trails covering 836.8 miles with 78,800 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment