Monday, April 3, 2023

Cruise, Go, Roll

Starting the morning on a perfect trail and light cloud cover...

Zipping the Dumont Lake Trail with Rabbit Ears Peak in view above
and to the left of Rudy. Wheeee!

We finished the day in sunshine catching some air along a fast fun stretch of trail. From Max & Zorro to Zorro & Jack to Zorro, Jack & Rudy to Jack & Rudy - all my skijor groups have always caught air on this stretch of trail along the shores of Dumont Lake. I'm not sure what perks their interest, but every skijor team has caught air on this stretch! 

A tradition passed from Max to Zorro to Jack to Rudy - catch air on this
stretch of trail.

Today's video highlight is a "cruise, go and roll" clip. We start out cruising along a gentle/flat trail. Then, the trail takes a left and down slope. Jack & Rudy know what to do with down slopes, so OFF they go pulling me along. The end of this clip was my planned turnaround point of the outing. You'll hear me call out "wait" to my pals (which they do). Then I say "time to turnaround" which means the following to Jack & Rudy: first roll in and eat snow, then turnaround. Funny kids.

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

We were still in cloud cover in the prior video leading up to our turnaround point of the outing. Within minutes of turning around, all the clouds cleared and it was a beautiful sunny return on the same route:

Zipping along, but in the sun now. Zoom!

A pretty strong wind was developing during the outing as a winter storm is supposed to be arriving later today. As the wind increased, I almost lost my hat. So, I stopped to tighten the hat before losing it in the wind. Well, I stopped...

"You stopped, we roll!!!" goes the silly, silly snow rolling kids.

Back to the trailhead and I wanted to hide from the building wind to hand out end of run treats. This meant giving out treats the "old fashioned way" (me kneeling down) instead of Jack & Rudy's new trick of climbing snow walls to get to my level :)

"Okay, we'll take them down here, but we really like climbing the snow walls!"
declares the happy kids.

A very peaceful out & back skijor near Dumont Lake: 10.2 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 23 MPH.

2022/2023 Season to Date: 125 days on the trails covering 1115.5 miles with 101,100 feet of elevation climbed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment