Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Mayuary

Laying fresh tracks and breaking trail on Mayuary 22nd - Wow!

It was quite an aerobic outing with 5-10 inches of new snow on our outing this morning. You know what the youngsters are going to do at our turnaround point on such an aerobic day :)
"Look at all this untouched snow!" says Zorro surveying the options in front of us.
"Stopped, rolling!" demonstrates upside down Rudy.
"Hey bro - come join us!!!!" snow rolling Jack says to Zorro.
We went to the South Fork Trail in Swan Valley hoping that the morning's new snow had refreshed the deteriorating trails. Well, yes indeed, we found ourselves laying fresh tracks in 5+ inches of new snow and eventually breaking trail in up to 10 inches of powder. May Pow:
The May POW Trio powering through powder to tow me along!
We did an "out & back" for the majority of the outing. That meant we could reuse the track we sent on the way out for the way back. Polite Jack & Rudy let elder Zorro have the middle track while they took side tracks.
Whee we go as we are able to open up the throttle using the track we set on the way out!
Today's short video clip shows our "track reuse" as we were able to open the throttle somewhat by running in our "out track" on the return. Fun taking advantage of our uphill work on the way back down!
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

As we came around one bend in the trail, I saw what looked like endless open water ahead. "Oh no!" I thought as all I saw was open water from far away. But, Zorro is our water expert. I always ski behind Zorro in October and May. Zorro will NEVER touch water (he hates it). As I ride behind him in Oct/May, if I see him start to long jump, I quickly cut left or right as this means there is water under the snow (but small enough for him to long jump). If I see Zorro cut right or left then I follow as he is declaring the "water under snow" is too big to long jump and we must go to the side. He has never been wrong about water hazards. So, we continued towards the open water and I let Zorro figure things out. Well....
"I found a safe crossing!" declares smart Zorro. He took us directly to this point!
"Look at all that open water!" says perplexed Jack.
"I'll be over here playing while you 3 work out a way to cross!" adds silly young Rudy.
Of course, Zorro was right, he found a safe crossing! I got my skis lined up and closed my eyes and said, "Ok, let's go" for Zorro to guide and tow us through!
"It's solid enough! Perfect!" says leader Zorro.
"Boy, you SURE are smart!!!" says Jack following Zorro's lead.
"What's wrong with the water?!?" adds still silly Rudy.
It is not often you get to say "happily slowed by deep snow" in late May! 5.4 miles traveled with 500 feet of elevation climbed and modest top speed of 15 MPH (you try running in 5+ inches of snow :)

2018/2019 Season to Date: 121 days on the trails covering 701.9 miles with 65,800 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment