Sunday, May 5, 2019

Tow Rope

Fun morning touring the trails and spring crust around Walton Peak at Rabbit Ears Pass.
Great time, right guys?
"Oh, this has been FUN!" says the happy trio at our turnaround point of the outing.
All snow as far as the eye can see in May - Yay!
We always start each skijor with a real BANG as everyone is always ready to go. But, some days it is a SUPER BANG as my three partners are just itching to GO! Come along and watch today's start as everyone was extra juiced and virtually shot out of a cannon once I released them to start. Notice my shadow and you can see I am simply standing on my skis being towed uphill. A "skijor tow rope" :)
[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

As you see in the video we started the day on set snowmobile trails. After going a mile or so, I wanted to test if the crust was firm enough to hold us. I directed everyone off trail and paused to test the crust. Well, I paused so you know what the silly kids did:
"Cannot believe you stopped - look at what you enabled!" says Zorro.
"'Stop' is our command to 'Roll'!" demonstrate the silly snow rolling pair.
The crust was definitely firm enough. So, once everyone was upright again, off we went making our own path up, down and around Walton Peak:
Perfect crust as far as the eye can see! Zoom we go!
I love the following shot of Zorro. We were cruising along the crust when I suddenly noticed him back off the gangline a little. Before I could wonder what he was doing, I saw. He was preparing himself to clear a snowmobile track coming perpendicular to us. For whatever reason, he did not want his toes in the track, so he long jumped it! Pretty impressive for someone less than 1 month from turning 11 years old!
Nice long jump Zorro! He did clear the entire track long jumping over it!
Love getting together with my pals to celebrate the end of a fun day with end of run treats:
"All smiles here, all focused too - hand them out!" says the happy & focused trio.
We have had an absolutely incredible start to skijoring this May: 7.3 miles traveled with 600 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 22 MPH.

2018/2019 Season to Date: 111 days on the trails covering 635.9 miles with 59,500 feet of elevation climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment