Monday, March 13, 2023

Soft Terrain

Beautiful morning along the edges of Dumont Lake at Rabbit Ears Pass!

Running in a solo snowmobile track with cool snow poofs
flying up behind Jack & Rudy.

We were on & off snowmobile tracks all morning long. When we were off, we were laying fresh tracks in 3-4 inches of fresh snow. Jack & Rudy love both the on & off configurations :)

Laying fresh tracks as the kids leap over a snowmobile track to keep
going forward in the fresh snow.

Along the way, I paused us to get a shot of the official Rabbit Ears Pass Geological Marker. Well, I stopped...

Stop, drop & roll goes funny Jack.
"Woooooo!" adds wooing Rudy.
Love how Jack is looking back to me while rolling a snow angel. Talented!

Trail conditions were actually a bit soft. Between fresh snowmobile tracks and fresh snow, Jack & Rudy were working hard to propel me along through the soft conditions. Not a problem, I'm here to help too!!! Come along for today's video highlight as you'll see me poling (using my poles) more than normal to help the kids move me through the soft terrain. See, I can help! A little poling is a LOT easier than trying to propel myself solo if I did not have my great partners!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

At one point, an intense rodent hunt broke out. Jack & Rudy definitely sensed something very active under the snow. Both were hopping up & down to dig for rodents. Rudy, of course, gets a lot of lift before his digs whereas Jack is more of a lunge & dig kind of guy!

"Whatcha got bro? Incoming!" goes Rudy to help Jack in his hole.
Just behind Rudy's left leg is the indentation from his first rodent dive & dig.
Despite a lot of frantic work, neither came up with a rodent in his mouth, phew!

Soft conditions merely slowed us a bit more than normal, it did not deter having a GREAT time.  Here are the kids arriving at the busy parking lot with gusto to end the morning's run.

9 miles later and still going strong!

Who had a good time today?

"I did, I did!" exclaims happy Jack.
"Me too!!!" adds happy Rudy.
"Me three!" adds laughing me :)

Fun time near the shores of Dumont Lake: 8.6 miles traveled with 700 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2022/2023 Season to Date: 108 days on the trails covering 956.9 miles with 88,100 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment