Thursday, December 30, 2021

Widths

Oh those silly kids rolling snow angels when I paused us briefly on the trails this morning :)

"You pause, we roll!!!!!" demonstrates the silly snow angel twins.

Today was a really fun outing with Jack & Rudy. Well, every outing is fun, but some just have an extra fun feeling than others.

Today's extra fun? Well, laying fresh tracks in new snow almost the entire outing and skijoring in all widths of trails. From very narrow to very wide! Come along for the fun...

We spent the beginning of the outing with fresh snow over a narrow snowmobile track weaving through the forest. The musher (me) has two things to watch for on such narrow and forested terrain. First, watching my skis as we whip through and around the trees. Second, watching my head for low hanging branches! It's not enough to just watch Jack & Rudy as I have to keep track of what's "taller than them but shorter than me" such as low hanging branches. What a workout for the human!

Working the human as we weave through the forest!
Look out for that tree!

Next, we transitioned onto much wider and open terrain but were still in fresh snow over a snowmobile track. Finally, I can stop looking up for branches and concentrate on keeping pace with Jack & Rudy!

Wide & open terrain but still in a snowmobile track under 
the fresh snow.

Finally, we moved onto ultra wide trails. We were still laying fresh tracks, but the packed trail under the new snow was as wide as a snowcat. Time to uncork Jack & Rudy to set the speed while I glide over the morning's fresh snow. Zoom.

The Jack & Rudy bullet train as I'm working the skis the best
I can to keep pace :)

My favorite part of the outing? Well, that's a hard one. Today I'll pick the "mid width" stretch of trail. Come along as we are really flying along in fresh snow over a snowmobile track on wide & open terrain. Wheeee!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Back to the trailhead with our retired mentor, Zorro. What was everyone else's favorite part of the day?

"I like you all returning for 'end of run' treats!" states Zorro.
"Gosh, can I love it all?!?!?" asks giddy Jack.
"I like 'flooring it' on ANY terrain!" says 'beautiful stride' Rudy :)

Fresh tracks fun almost all morning long - fun: 9.2 miles traveled with 700 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 22 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 48 days on the trails covering 378.9 miles with 35,900 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment