Saturday, February 26, 2022

27 MPH Wow

Jack & Rudy topped 27 MPH skijoring this morning - wow!

The "max speed" recorded on the GPS - 27.4 MPH. Wow!

Today was Jack & Rudy's top speed ever skijoring. The trails at Gold Run Nordic Center were perfect and freshly groomed. The temperature was below zero when we started and in the negative to single digits all morning long. These two conditions (perfect trail + perfect temps for Jack & Rudy) yielded this amazing feat from them. 27.4 MPH - wow!

What is really interesting is the parallel of this feat with Max & Zorro. Max & Zorro topped 27 MPH skijoring once in their career too. Now, Max was taller than Zorro with an incredible stride. I used to tell people that our top speed was 26 MPH (which Max & Zorro did many times) as I was convinced this was smaller Zorro's top speed. I knew Max was faster, but you go the speed of your team. Then one day Zorro blew me away and topped 27 alongside Max!

Well, I used to tell people that Jack & Rudy's top speed was 26 MPH (which they have done many times). Similar to Max, Rudy has an incredible stride but I was convinced that 26 was smaller Jack's top speed. Again, I knew Rudy was probably faster than 26; but you go the speed of your team. Well, today was the day Jack stunned us all and topped 27 MPH alongside Rudy. Impressive.

As I mentioned, the trails were absolutely perfect this morning with cool temperatures to keep Jack & Rudy from getting hot. It was great in the shade:

First tracks in the shade on the groomie zoomie.

It was great in the sun!

First tracks in the sun on the groomie zoomie!

It was the Jack & Rudy bullet train all day long!

Rudy the missile next to the Jack cannonball. Zoom!

Come along for the video clip where the GPS clocked us topping 27 MPH. We start out the clip in a gentle sprint. Then, partway through, Jack & Rudy really floor it and we take off! Zoom! What is really interesting is that this is the exact same stretch of trail where Max & Zorro topped 27 MPH 6 years ago! Clearly this is the "zoom trail" for our pack :)

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Back to the trailhead to report the impressive milestone to Zorro!

"I knew Jack had it in him! You doubted me once too!" Zorro is telling me :)
"I was flying!" declares happy Jack.
"I'm impressed too!" adds fast, fast Rudy.

What a day! 10.6 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 27 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 96 days on the trails covering 803.3 miles with 76,000 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment