Sunday, February 20, 2022

React

Cool shot of some serious "snow poofs" flying up behind fast running Jack & Rudy!

That's a lot of POOF coming off the fast moving sled dogs!!!!

Every once in a while, it's fun to highlight the "work" I do out on the trails with my partners. While "propelling me" is Jack & Rudy's primary job, I do have to read & react to various situations. Come along for some of my reaction jobs this morning :)

With two fast kids in front of me, I always have to be aware of snowballs or slush bombs flying off Jack & Rudy's feet and into my face and chest!

Look straight up from Rudy and a little to the left. The white blob is a
chunk of snow coming off Rudy and into my face!!! Since the camera is
on my chest, a snow or slush ball up from the camera is coming right
at my head. Look out human :)

I also have to remember that Jack & Rudy are shorter than me. I like to stay directly behind them as often as possible, but I also have to be aware of our differences in height!

Low to the ground Jack just went under the tree branch on the right and he
is ducking more to go under the upcoming branch in front of him. I have
to remember to swing out from behind them to avoid branches taller
then them but shorter than me!!!!

Another read & react scenario for me. We were in known moose territory in and around Gold Run Nordic Center today. I need to read & react to Jack & Rudy's "moose detectors" to know when to scan the trail and trees for moose! When Rudy has his "outside ear" up, he's hearing something nearby. When Jack glances into the trees, he's scanning for something (i.e., moose) that he hears or smells nearby. I have to scan all the terrain for moose to react to!!!

"Beep, beep - outside ear listening for moose!" demonstrates talented Rudy.
"Scan, scan - I detect moose nearby!" says forest scanning Jack!

Next, I have to "hang on" when we top 20 MPH. Come along for the today's cool video of fast running Jack & Rudy. Also, note Jack really hugging the right side of the trail in this clip. There are multiple low hanging branches I need to swing left to avoid along the way :) Look out human!

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]

Finally, I have to remember that retired mentor Zorro always gets the 'end of run' treats first! Haha, this is not really something I have to remember. Zorro is always quick to remind me and Jack & Rudy politely wait their turn!

"Me first!" declares mentor Zorro.
"Us second!" adds wonderfully patient Jack & Rudy.

See, I really do have to pay attention and read & react out on the trails :)  10.3 miles traveled with 800 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 23 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 92 days on the trails covering 766.4 miles with 72,000 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment