Saturday, February 12, 2022

Fresh Fun

Jack & Rudy know what to do with fresh snow!

"Yep. Fresh snow means 'stop, drop & roll'!" demonstrates the silly kids.

That's not exactly what I had in mind. Let's try it again... Jack & Rudy know what to do with fresh snow:

"I guess he wants us to tow him through the freshies. What do you think
little bro?
" Jack says to Rudy as we cruise along.
"Ok, laying fresh tracks is about as good as a 'stop, drop & roll'!" demonstrates
Rudy.

Now that's what I meant! It was a wonderful morning to head out to the backcountry and lay fresh tracks on lesser used trails far away from town on a busy Saturday morning. Despite the silly first photo above, Jack & Rudy were in a real groove laying fresh tracks almost all morning long!

Endless untouched snow to lay fresh tracks for miles & miles!

We skijored a large loop in the backcountry to enjoy the freshies. But, we were running ahead of schedule to meet up with Zorro & Nancy, so we added an "out & back" on a side trail intersecting the loop. So, the only tracks we encountered all morning were our own on the little out/back addition to the loop:

Whose tracks are those? Our tracks!!! Pretty shot of the peaceful terrain as
we run back in our 'out tracks' on the way back. 

But, the vast majority of the day found us laying fresh tracks all the way. Come along for a video glimpse into the fun. I was actually quite surprised to see how much the camera (and, thus, me) was bouncing around during part of this clip. The ride felt very smooth in person. I guess I was just too "in tune" riding behind Jack & Rudy to notice me bouncing along! 

[watch on youtube if no video loads below]


Finally, a happy meet up with retired mentor Zorro for 'end of run' treats!

"I see the treat bag!" declares Zorro watching my right hand coming
out of the pocket with the treats.
"Yep, I see them too!" adds fun Jack.
"I'm chilling back here until the treats are REALLY out!" says mellow Rudy!

What a great way to spend a busy Saturday - laying fresh tracks deep in the backcountry! 8.3 miles traveled with 1000 feet of elevation climbed and a top speed of 20 MPH.

2021/2022 Season to Date: 85 days on the trails covering 700.2 miles with 65,700 feet of elevation climbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment